Welcome to the Mathematics Department
To understand mathematics is to have at one's disposal a source of intellectual delight as well as a tool of great practical usefulness. Mathematical power is achieved through exploration, reasoning, problem solving, communication, and connections. Students in our mathematics classes work toward achieving the Medfield High School learner outcomes as they connect ideas within mathematics and between mathematics and other intellectual activity. MHS mathematics courses challenge students of all ability levels and encourage them to excel academically.
The student will:
- Explore mathematical ideas in ways that maintain enjoyment of and curiosity about mathematics
- Explain and justify solutions to problems
- Recognize the relationships among different topics in mathematics and apply mathematical thinking to solve problems in other disciplines.
- Recognize and apply deductive and inductive reasoning.
- Use multiple approaches to investigate and understand mathematical content