Welcome to the English Department
The aim of the English department is to improve students' awareness of the importance of language and literature in their lives and to stress competence in the skills of reading, writing, speaking, and listening. The English program emphasizes the development of critical thinking skills, the effective communication of ideas, both oral and written, and the comprehension of literary works. Literary and media works, selected for excellence in content and style, are intended to promote aesthetic appreciation, critical evaluation skills, and humanistic attitudes.
1. Students will read, comprehend, interpret, evaluate, and respond to written material.
2. Students will read and respond to various genres of significant literature.
3. Students will write as a means of developing fluency and as a tool for learning.
4. Students will write standard English in a grammatically acceptable, coherent, and well-organized manner.
5. Students will speak effectively in formal and informal situations to communicate ideas and information.
6. Students will listen critically and analytically.
7. Students will develop critical thinking skills through the study of language and literature.